🎉 Historic Budget Approval for Tantramar! In an exciting and historic move, the Tantramar Council has unanimously passed the very first budget for our unified Municipality. This marks a significant milestone in our journey as a collective entity, paving the way for a prosperous and well-managed future. The total operating budget is set at $16,707,191 with tax rates listed as follows:
- Sackville Town: 1.5389
- Dorchester Village: 1.5415
- Dorchester LSD: 0.6411
- Sackville LSD: 0.5625
- Point de Bute LSD: 0.7637
This budget reflects our commitment to growth, sustainability, and community welfare.
🎆 Winterfest 2024: A Spectacular Celebration!
- Get ready for Winterfest 2024! The council has approved an agreement with MAC Fireworks for a breathtaking fireworks display. Ford Lane will be closed on February 9, 2024, to accommodate this event, ensuring a safe and spectacular experience for everyone.
🏗️ Economic Development and Community Enhancements
- The council approved an Economic Development Incentive Program application for a commercial building at 35 Main Street.
- The Wastewater Surveillance Program will see the installation of an autosampler at the Crescent Street Lagoon, enhancing our environmental monitoring capabilities.
🚒 Enhanced Safety and Services
- The council has approved an increase in RCMP officer complement, ensuring better safety and service for our community.
- A significant investment in fleet and emergency response vehicle equipment was approved, further strengthening our preparedness and response capabilities.
🌐 Infrastructure and Community Projects
- The council has greenlit various infrastructure projects, including storm sewer work, sidewalk renewals, facility upgrades, and more, totaling an impressive $1,515,000.
- Plans for a new Dorchester Fire Station and the proposed relocation of the Dorchester Library are underway, signifying our commitment to community development and safety.
🌳 Environmental Initiatives and Waste Management
- The council approved a contract extension for waste collection with Miller Waste Systems, ensuring efficient and environmentally responsible waste management.
📜By-Laws and Levies
- By-Law No. 2023-09, relating to the establishment of a Special Business Improvement Area Levy, was given its third and final reading.
- The Business Improvement Levy Budget for 2024 was approved, supporting Mainstreet Redevelopment initiatives.
This council meeting was a testament to our community’s resilience, forward-thinking, and commitment to growth. We’re excited to embark on this journey together, building a brighter future for Tantramar!
Watch the full meeting on our Tantramar YouTube Channel.