Council Highlights – December 13th, 2023
Council Highlights provide a snapshot of public meetings. For the official record, please refer to the adopted minutes, which are posted once approved at the next month’s Regular Council Meeting. Consult this meeting’s agenda to view presentations and files mentioned in the Council Highlights.
Committee of the Whole Council Meeting – December 13th, 2023
Petitions, Presentations & Delegations
- NB Sports Wall of Fame: Jane Arsenault announced the inductees and thanked the Municipality for their support. The event is set to take place at Mount Allison University, and as of yesterday the 170-day countdown to the induction gala began.
- Climate Change Advisory Committee: Richard Elliot provided updates on the Committee’s progress and strategic goals. Doug Bliss steps in as Chair with Adam Cheeseman continuing as Vice-Chair.
- Ice Rate Subsidy – TRHS: Ms. Lafford requested the Council to reconsider the cost of ice time for High School Varsity teams.
- Land for Public Purposes – Kenridge Park Subdivision: Motion carried.
- CCAC Member Recommendations: Motion carried.
- Anglophone East Reciprocal Agreement: Motion carried.
- Dorchester Library Agreement: Motion carried.
- Policy No. 2023-07, Responsibility for Municipal Owned Vehicles: Motion carried.
Reports from Administration
- Updates on Dorchester Zamboni Building and Rink Board Improvements.
- Discussion on Reserve Funds and the RFP for Audit Services for Tantramar Municipality.
- Circular Materials Program: Council deliberated on the matter of Circular Materials, ultimately choosing to maintain a neutral stance at this time. This decision reflects a considered approach, opting neither to formally opt-in nor opt-out. As such, no specific action or resolution was taken, signifying a thoughtful pause rather than a definitive decision.
- Tender TAN-2023-11 Construction of New Aboiteau AB-01 102: Caldwell & Ross’s lowest tender approved. Ongoing discussions about the project scope due to funding constraints.
Notice of Motion and Resolutions
- Motion by Councillor Josh Goguen: To engage with the Provincial Government for a land-use agreement for the Rails to Trails system and explore funding for a new pedway over the Trans-Canada Highway.
- Motion by Councillor Josh Goguen: To form a committee to explore options for a permanent multi-use facility, including a location for the Sackville Farmers Market.
- Notice of Motion by Councillor Debbie Wiggins-Colwell: Regarding ATV’s using roads.
Deputy Mayor Election
- Deputy Mayor Greg Martin re-elected for another term.
- The next Regular Council Meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 9th, 2024. The meeting will be live-streamed at https://www.youtube.com/@tantramarnb.