- This event has passed.
Leonard Bernstein at 100: A Mount Allison CelebrationJanuary 25, 2019
On January 25th and 26th, Mount Allison’s Department of Music will play host to a series of lectures and concerts in Brunton Auditorium, in celebration of what would be Leonard Bernstein’s 100th year. The life and work of the famed American composer will be explored by keynote speaker Dr. Paul Laird, celebrated author, lecturer, and Director of Musicology at the University of Kansas. Mount Allison’s own Dr. Elizabeth Wells, herself a Bernstein authority, will be presenting throughout the conference.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 25
• 1:00 p.m. – Bernstein’s Output in Musical Theater I: Bernstein’s theatrical works featuring Paul Laird, Elizabeth Wells, and voice students from the Department of Music.
• 3:15 p.m. – Bernstein on Video: Excerpts from Bernstein’s career on film, hosted by Paul Laird.
• 4:15 p.m. – Reminiscences of Bernstein: In Conversation with Paul Laird. Hosted by Elizabeth Wells.
• 7:30 p.m. – Faculty and Student Recital: A concert of music by Leonard Bernstein, performed by students and faculty of the Department of Music.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 26
• 9:00 a.m. – Bernstein’s Output in Musical Theater II: Bernstein’s theatrical works featuring Paul Laird, Elizabeth Wells, and voice students from the Department of Music.
• 11:15 a.m. – Symposium on Leonard Bernstein at 100: Bernstein Symposium, featuring scholarly presentations by Mount Allison faculty and guests.
All events are open to the public and are free of charge. For additional information regarding the Leonard Bernstein at 100 conference, call (506) 364-2374 or e-mail email@example.com. Visit the Department of Music’s web site at www.mta.ca/music.